October 13, 2013

It Takes a Village to Be a Cancer Triver: 5 Years and Counting

Five years from my first breast cancer diagnosis. I am feeling healthy and, thanks to the wonders of modern science, have been doing really well without ever needing chemo!

In the past five years, I have

* Quit the most stable, best paid job I ever had (because it hurt my soul)

* Learned to surf (and broke my ankle on my third wave -- actually broke it on the board of the kid who smashed into me when I was gracefully surfing on my third wave)

* Written a good part of two books (agents, please call me)

* Continued to make all the mistakes I have ever made (chocolate addiction, inability to keep up with paperwork, and many others you don't want to know)

The cancer in the background has added to the sweetness and gratitude in my days. That's a good thing. But the best thing about being a Cancer Thriver is the connection with my dear friends. I've learned it takes a village to be a Cancer Thriver. Supporting a Cancer Thriver comes in many different packages. (See my thoughts on When a Friend has Cancer.) Here are a few of the members of my village. On my five year anniversary, I want to call you out with deepest gratitude:

Marcia, who for well over a year has read to me passages from Martha Beck to help me in my journey to find my Calling and Life Path.

Dana, who takes time from her busy day to go with me to the doctor, types up high level notes, and helps me sort through the onco-talk and come up with a common sense plan of action every time.

Naomi, who sat with me for three hours in the IV treatment room, brought me an assortment of sweet and savory muffins, and found a rabbi to help me with the spiritual part of my journey.

Suz, whose many acts of kindness include bringing me sauteed spinach when I was in the hospital and craving real food, and flying to Boston with me for a second opinion from a top doc.

Melinda, who texts me most mornings to get me out of the house for a jog, one of the most essential parts of my current treatment plan.

My village is so large it will take quite a few more posts to call out all the awesome folks who have put the fun, joy, and love into my life as a Cancer Thriver.

Five years and counting! Who in your village helps you thrive, cancer or not?












1 comment:

  1. Just checked out your blog, it's lovely, great job! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete