August 22, 2012

My Ridiculous Bliss: Stand Up Paddle, Anyone?

A cancer diagnosis is devastating. But it's also a great excuse.
Zahara SUPing in Hawaii.

For me, it's an excuse to stop caring what other people think, and follow my bliss.

I know how ridiculous it is for a 47-year-old klutzy mom to try a new water sport, a sport that looks like it was invented for young people who look great in short shorts and can follow all the steps in Zumba class.

But with cancer, ridiculousness ceases to matter very much.

So I went ahead and tried Stand Up Paddling, also known as Supping, paddleboarding.

I loved it.

I loved it very much.

I loved it as much as I love skiing, small kittens, chocolate cake. Which is to say, I totally love it.

I've now paddleboarded in Maui, on the Chesapeake, the Potomac, and the Charles River.

I'm planning a long paddleboarding trip (watch this space for details), and thinking of becoming a certified Stand Up Paddling instructor.

If you'd like to learn how to SUP, and live in the DC area, drop me a line.

Ridiculous? Yes.

Bliss? Yes.

What's your ridiculous bliss?

No comments:

Post a Comment