July 30, 2014

Cancer Thriver Flotilla for Cancer Thrivers and Friends



Cancer Thriver, Zahara, on the Potomac River
Update: Our Indiegogo Campaign is on fire! Please check it out. 

For my 50th birthday: I plan to be the first person to Stand Up Paddle from the Anacostia River in DC to Mt Vernon, Virginia. I'm doing it in the name of Cancer Thriver.

I want to help spread the word that exercise helps prevent and treat breast cancer. (Yes, really!)

And I want you in on the fun.

The journey will be an overnight, August 30-31 (rain date Sept 1). Inshallah, I will travel on Stand Up Paddle from the Anacostia River (near the Ballpark) to Old Town Virginia, overnight there (probably on couches of friends), then on to Mt Vernon the next day. I hope to do this with a little flotilla of cancer survivors, friends, and supporters.

My hubby Eric and son Max will join in a kayak or canoe, and I hope we’ll have a few other people on human powered watercraft, or on parallel trips by bike and by foot. Eileen wants to lead the walkers, about 8 miles each day. (On the river, will be about 6-7 miles each day.)

I plan to add on an Indiegogo hope to raise money for my favorite breast cancer organizations (Living Beyond Breast Cancer and BreastCancer.org) and their wonderful work to publicize the role of exercise in preventing and treating breast cancer.

Let me know if you might want to:
  •  Join the trip for one or both days by boat, bike, or foot
  •  Join the launch party Sat Aug 30 about noon, probably here near the DC ballpark: http://www.boatingindc.com/ballpark-boathouse#.U9mDyPldVSA, or the Sunday August 31 Closing Ceremony at Mt Vernon at about 6 pm.
  •  Help with another role, such as helping me plan logistics (food, events, or housing), fundraise, spread the word, support the teams.

Let me know here https://www.facebook.com/CancerThriver or email me zaharapeace at gmail dot come.

In the meantime, save the dates:

Sat August 30 10-11 am Launch Party at DC Boathouse near Ballpark, 11 am launch, Dinner in Old Town

Sunday August 31, 11-12, Launch Prep, noon launch, Aim to Arrive Mt Vernon by 6ish for ending Ceremony

(Rain date is Monday Sept 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment