March 14, 2010

Breast Cancer Husband

My husband was late for the appointment when I found out I had cancer-- he was at Starbucks getting a coffee.

I had to hear the words "you have invasive breast cancer" without him by my side. He ambled in two minutes later.

So things started out on the wrong foot. But since then, he has done most things right. Here's the top ten things he did right for other husbands and partners who are trying to do the right thing. My DH:

10. Didn't second guess my treatment decisions.
9. Knew his limits. Did not offer to change my bandages after surgery.
8. Gave lots of extra time and love to our son during my treatment.
7. Didn't run away, emotionally or physically.
6. Came to doctors appointments when asked.
5. Took me to NY for second opinion.
4. Says he doesn't miss my old body.
3. Encourages me to exercise and eat healthily but doesn't nag.
2. Stays balanced; does not obsess about my health.
1. Treats me like my same old self as before.

Here is a book that sounds great, although I haven't read it yet. If you have read it, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I like this post a lot, sis. In fact, the whole blog is excellent, even though it's (emotionally) hard to read. You are very courageous.
    Love from your sis. xoxo

    ReplyDelete