September 24, 2015

Join me to opose the "Death Sentence Clause" that Threatens Cancer Thrivers around the World

I was diagnosed with cancer seven years ago. Although I am still in treatment, I have maintained a positive attitude and active lifestyle thanks in part to getting treatments from biologic drugs such as trastuzumab (marketed as Herceptin), Perjeta/Pertuzumab, and Xgeva.

Why am I so happy to get this shot?
Xgeva keeps my bones strong and
helps me thrive!
These medicines have extended my life and kept me strong. They allow me to be a cancer thriver.

These medicines also enable me to be there for years for my son — who just turned 10 this summer.

I have become involved in the fight against the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) because, if passed, it could threaten access to these kinds of life-saving drugs, known as biologics.  Please go to www.tppkills.org to learn more and take action.

Biologic medicines have extended the lives of women like me with breast cancer by years and have saved thousands of lives. Additional biologic medicines in the research pipeline offer hope to people with breast cancer and others.

The large pharmaceutical companies are trying to influence the TPP deal so they can have long-term monopolies on these medicines and make more money. They seek a delay of at least eight years before allowing generics or biosimilars. That way they can charge up to hundreds of thousands per year by denying less expensive alternatives that could save lives.

We are calling this proposal the "death sentence clause" because it would sentence tens of thousands of people to unnecessary suffering and early death.

It will affect loved ones as well, including the children of breast cancer patients struck down in their prime.

I know that because I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 11. She was got cancer before biologic drugs were available, and lived less than a year after diagnosis.

I have just heard that the trade ministers of the 12 TPP countries will meet in Atlanta starting September 26 to try to conclude the talks, and the monopoly periods for these biologic drugs will be one of just a handful of issues that will decide the fate of the TPP. It effects US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Peru, Vietnam.

I plan to go to Atlanta next week to try to meet these trade ministers face to face — to ensure that women in the U.S. and around the world have access to the kind of biologic treatments that have extended my life.

I want to bring your name with me, so please go to www.tppkills.org to add your name.

I look forward to working together so all Cancer Thrivers can have access to the meds they need to keep thriving!

No comments:

Post a Comment